Steps to Take Prior to Filing for Divorce
- Have your sensitive or personal mail forwarded to a trusted friend’s home or your office.
- Create back-ups of all important files kept on your shared home computers.
- Begin making a list of all of your debts and assets held both solely in your name and held jointly with your spouse.
- If you don’t already have one, open a new bank account solely in your name
- Make photocopies of all of your important documents (i.e. titles, tax returns, deeds, notes, spouse’s retirement accounts, spouse’s paystubs, etc.)
- Change your social networking settings to private and remove any content that may be seen as unflattering.
- If you need to communicate anything important to your spouse, do so in writing. Try to refrain from communicating any negative, insulting, or disparaging comments in writing to your spouse.
- Keep a journal of any significant events, both past and present.